Melt in your mouth spiced pumpkin buns.
It’s pumpkin season! So, let’s get baking vegan spiced pumpkin buns.
I absolutely love pumpkins and feel like they are special because they are freshly available to us during October.
Using them in as many ways as I can while they are around.
Do you prefer sweet or savoury pumpkin recipes?
Here is a warming sweet treat for the colder months to come. I hope you enjoy!
Please let me know how you get on with this beautiful recipe in the comments below.
TOP TIP: Create a bigger batch of the filling and freeze the leftover to use when you can’t get your hands on a pumpkin!
Let’s make Pumpkin Buns
Prep time: 30 minutes
Proving time: 1 hr 15
Cook time: 8-12 minutes
Total time: 2hrs
Serving: 35 buns (approx)
Ingredients for your Pumpkin swirl buns.
975g strong bread flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
200g vegan spread/butter
5 tsp dried yeast
400ml almond milk (or your preferred plant-based milk)
4 tsp plant-based yogurt
100g roasted pumpkin
100g roasted pumpkin
80g caster sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
50g vegan spread
1 tsp vanilla paste
100g melted vegan spread
2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp icing sugar
Granulated brown sugar for sprinkles
Instructions to make these delicious, sweet pumpkin spiced buns
- Add your strong bread flour, baking powder, caster sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg to a large mixing bowl, ideally a standing mixer with a kneading attachment on it.
- Then add cubes of your vegan spread and dried yeast to the flour mixture.
- Blend the plant milk, plant yogurt and roasted pumpkin until smooth then add this the flour mixture.
- Knead the mixture for around 10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and let it prove for 1hr 15 in a warm place.
Meanwhile…let’s prepare the filling, it’s really simple!
- Blend the roasted pumpkin, caster sugar, cinnamon, vegan spread, vanilla paste in a blender and set aside. (If your kitchen is quite warm you may want to pop it in the fridge – you are looking for a very soft butter texture.)
Preheat your oven to 220C
- Tip your dough out onto a light floured surface and roll it out to roughly 40 by 60cm rectangle.
- Spread your filling across the surface evenly.
- Fold the dough onto itself into 3 layers. Roll it out again to make a rectangle that is 50 by 70cm. Trim the edges to give you straight sides.
- For medium sized vegan spiced pumpkin buns cut the flattened dough into slices (approximately 1.5cm wide).
- You can choose the go bigger or smaller but please note cooking time will vary.
- Take each dough strip and cut it down the middle, leaving a small 1cm joint at the top.
- Twist the two lengths of dough onto itself then on a surface create a spiral with the dough tucking the end of the braid underneath to create a knot like bun
- Line 2-3 trays with baking paper and place the buns at least 4cm apart.
- Bake the buns on a middle rack for 8-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
Next, the buttery topping…
- Mix together the plant-based butter, cinnamon and icing sugar
- Brush the mixture over the warm but slightly cooled buns and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Vegan spiced pumpkin buns
Keep fresh for up to 3 days, but always best on the same day you bake them, in which they can be enjoyed warm or cold.
As always, I would love to know your thoughts on this recipe – please let me know in the comments below <3
A trustworthy vegan gifts marketplace, where you can discover vegan and ethical independent UK brands.